Saturday, July 7, 2012

Nintendo Game Captain Skyhawk is awesome!


Captain skyhawk

I have heard some bad press on this game and I tell you, ALL LIES! Captain Skyhawk is one of the many titles developed by rare, in the 8-bit era. The game was released in 1990 by Milton Bradley for the Nintendo Entertainment System. I should probably mention here That I am not usually a fan of jet plane games or flying sims. That is why I was pleasantly surprised when I popped the ol' Skyhawk into my Nintendo and prepared for take off (against alien intruders.) 



Most of the game is in an isometric view. The game play can take a bit to get used to . I remember crashing into hills a lot at the start of the game. Once I got the hang of it though I played it almost obsessively for a week straight. The enemy bullets seem to move at just the right speed to make the game challenging and really fun. The plane handles really well too. The controls are tight but have just enough play that it makes it unique.

There are a few different play modes while the game unfolds. There are the straight missions that require you to essentially get from one end to the other without dying. There are also missions that require you to drop off a packages , and rescue scientists. You will also have to line up your ship in between levels to dock. There are also dog fight levels, similar to top gun on the NES.


There are good weapon upgrades that spice up game play . Power ups can be purchased and outfitted between levels after docking. The first time I played the game I didn't even think to actually use the missiles or bombs until I was like 2 stages from the end. Which was awesome when I got to the final boss, because I smoked him.

If you are a retro gamer or interested in old games, this one is worth checking out or re- visiting . There are several ways to play on the internet but I prefer the good old Nintendo Entertainment System.


No comments:

Post a Comment